Friday 18 September 2009

Making My Mark in the Whitley Park Library

What better way to start the first of over a hundred school visits this year than with a library opening? The alarming trend of converting primary school libraries into ICT suites has well and truly come to an end and more and more schools seem to be focusing on revamping their libraries - which can only be a good thing. A revamped library usually requires a wad of cash and the dedication of a team of willing wall painters and book sorters - in this case it was led by Vickie Mullan, the literacy coordinator and the teacher who invited me in. As in all welcoming schools I had been offered a cup of tea and was sipping it when Vickie asked if I'd like a quick sneak preview of the room I was going to officially open. Fungus the Bogeyman and Burglar Bill looked down us as I heard how the once painfully pink walls had been slowly replaced during the summer holidays. I drifted into the cosy beaned-bagged corner of the room with the pristine new rug adorned with reading penguins and sipped my tea. Remember, only a select few people had been into this room - the windows were blacked out to prevent young prying eyes seeing their new facility - I was a privileged, honoured guest. Alas this honoured guest is not known for his steadiness of hand (I haven't earned the nickname of Mr Magoo, a home, for nothing...) and a dreadful drop of tea feel onto the rug. Happily, Vickie hadn't noticed (although it landed on the whiter-than-white snow, so it was only a matter of time...). I knew I'd have to confess (although if it had landed on a darker part, I probably would have remained mum...). By the opening ceremony I was consumed with guilt... I duly cut the ribbon, made my books-are-far-more-powerful-than-TV programmes speech and gathered the assembled crowd onto the penguin rug... "Let me tell you a story," I said, "about a gleaming new rug and a clumsy author..."
The thing is, I'm in a school in Watford tomorrow - opening another library...

No comments:

Post a Comment