Tuesday 1 September 2009

It just dropped out of the sky...

So - there I was, in the garden, laptop ready, about to begin this blog. Well, it's the beginning of September and, even though schools aren't really back yet, and my first author visit is a couple of weeks away, I felt obliged to write something... But what? I'm an author, right? I shouldn't have any problems thinking about what to write... ideas are my stock in trade. So I did what authors normally do when they are waiting for "the muse" - put the kettle on....


So - there I was, in the garden, laptop ready, tea in hand, about to... then thud. Something had crashed into the shed...

...a pigeon. Clearly a rather stunned bird, it's neck was at a peculiar angle and, apart from its blinking eyes, it was motionless... I had a choice of three things, contact the RSPCA, take a quick photo of it or write about it. I decided to do all three (in that order...).

By the time you're reading this I'm assuming the bird has made a complete recovery and is this very moment up a column pestering Nelson with a gang of its mates (well, let's hope so anyway...). I'm certainly seeing this as a good sign - this year ideas are going to just fall down from the sky... Only next time I hope they get their timing right: by the time the pigeon had been dispatched to the local vet my tea had grown cold...

As I sip my replacement cuppa my thoughts go out to all you teachers who are gearing up for a new term... Here's to rolls of brand new backing paper, piles of unsullied text books and uncannily bug-free computers. I just hope, as you put the finishing touches to those tray name-labels, that the silence of your room is not disturbed by a sudden thud against your window... (Although if it is - you'll certainly have something to tell the kids tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment